Greetings...

...Relax, have a hot cup of herbal tea with us, and share your thoughts, ideas, poems...

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Thoughts from 3 decades of parenting & working in education...


Today, 3/3/2013 I was sitting here thinking about all the students and families, particularly those of color, that have been marginalized and demoralized by this system in America known as public education. As a mother, educator, activist, I too had to deal with my children being unfairly treated and demoralized by this system. Since I was so visible as an active parent & teacher in their public school system, what was done to my children by teachers & administrators wasn't so outright blatant - but it was done by sarcastic remarks, unfair treatment, negative comments, and other behaviors that can cause a child to feel incapable or demeaned. These types of behaviors were done to my children in such underhanded and sneaky ways, that today many, many years later my adult children have told me story after story of negative things that were said or done to them. These are the belittling behaviors done by evil, hateful people to marginalize children and squash their light and spirit. It is sad to say, but this behavior was done by teachers and administrators - YES teachers and administrators (right in the very same system where generations of my family were educated).  

I must say, fortunately, they had some very good teachers and administrators too - but they were few and far between. Those who made a real difference in the children's lives know who they are - those who cared somewhat, but went along with the status quo know who they are, and those who were just collecting a paycheck and had no regard for the children, (and treated them like dirt) know who they are too. We all have to answer for what we do in life. It's called Karma! We are all either part of the solution or part of the problem.

My children along with many others were victimized by this system. As a mother and educator, I helped my 4 children with their homework, attended school events, PTO meetings, became PTO President for different schools and for the Central PTO, conducted Kwanzaa and Black History programs in their classes and schools (because it was not happening). I began to see that there was no rigor in the "so-called curriculum" or in the instruction, and the system was riddled with low expectations and mediocrity. So I did what any caring, knowledgeable parent would do - I challenged the status quo, and attempted to be a driving force in creating a more accountable system, with a rigorous curriculum, unbiased textbooks, and high expectations. I didn't just fight for my kids - I fought for all the Black and Latino kids in the school system. I fought for those children who didn't have anybody to fight for them. This was not about me - it was about the children. I went on The Today Show 25 years ago fighting to remove a biased and racist world history textbook, after the superintendent (at the time), refused to remove the book. Needless to say, the book was removed the day before the show aired. Again, I had to ask the question - is this about kids or about not getting national negative publicity? I am about children....I am committed to doing the right things for children - all children.

This quest for my children to get a thorough and equal education (their constitutional right)  became a 25 year battle; and it truly took its toll on my children. Isn't it amazing that I was fighting to change the system for them (and their classmates) to get a solid education, and the result of what the system did - is to turn my adult children off to traditional systems. They are all think-out-the-box adults, trying to navigate their way in this challenging world in untraditional ways. Fortunately, they all recognize the value of doing for self and seeking information and knowledge on their own. My daughter tells me that after seeing what I went through, and what they experienced - that she would prefer to home school. She is an excellent, active home-schooling mother with 4 children. I am so thankful that her children (those 4 grand babies of mine) can be educated in a loving home, with creative parents, stimulating projects that nurture their ingenuity and creativity - and challenge them academically! In a perfect world, I wish that same opportunity (home schooling) could be could be a reality for all my grandchildren. Ase' 

I came into the world of education in 1980 as a young, idealistic, caring and determined teacher. I must say 33 years later, I am older, wiser, and still caring, determined and committed to making a difference for as many people (children & adults) as possible. Although the journey has been long, I still have so far to go. I am grateful for my ancestors who paved the way before me - for I stand on their shoulders and the shoulders of all those great Black and Native Americans that did the ground work for people like me to carry on the work. There is a saying,"Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave."  I am still in the quest for knowledge. I began the pursuit of my doctoral degree in 2012 and I am still learning, growing, and challenging myself to new horizons. My eye is still on prize - the children - for they are truly our greatest resource. 

To my 4 children - thank you for giving me the greatest blessing in life;  the opportunity to be your mother; and to care for you, guide you and help you stand on your own two feet and go out into this world and make a difference.  You are all young and there are unlimited possibilities in your reach. I challenge each one of you to leave your positive mark on this world! To every child I ever taught, thank you for teaching me about love, caring, nurturing, and  individual differences. To the parents of my former students - thank you for  trusting me with your child and for allowing me the opportunity to work with your child. It has been a blessing beyond words. 

Finally, I have dedicated my life to helping give voice to the voiceless. I leave you today with a poem:

who speaks for me
Copyright 2011 by Helen Tinsley

i am the voice of the voiceless
i am the voice of those students 
who are uneducated, miseducated
or simply not given the tools 
to be successful in society today.
i am the voice of those students 
who languish in special ed classes,
remedial programs, alternative classes
or other structures that marginalize
 & demoralize their essence.
i am the voice of students 
whose spirit is squashed
by uncaring adults, low expectations 
& pervasive disregard
in inner city schools throughout america.
i am their voice & this is their story.
stop 
u don’t know me
u only make money off me
yea, tho i walk thru the valley of public schools
i shall fear no evil for i am black 
& my God is with me.
i sit in classes, raise my hand, draw my pictures,
want to read my story & u don’t call on me
music teacher – u give out instruments & u bypass me
math teacher ― u have calculators i never see
art teachers – your closets r full of papers, paints & clay
u think r too good for me
principal – u create cracks to push me in
breed academic gaps & try to limit me
what is your problem 
& whose agenda do u follow?
i am strong, powerful & smart & i’m gonna do me
i read the books u hide
understand the knowledge u deny
& recognize today is the day we will not be shy
we will take this information & fly
today we are revolving, slowly evolving 
& the lies are dissolving
the revolution was televised 
when the levees broke & america choked
langston hughes wrote the ways of white folks
& the Hon Elijah Muhammad spoke 
told us wake up black folks

this is the final Call!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You saw the vision and answered the call. You did not let fear and negativity stand in your way. Thank you for your dedication and hard work to be a voice for the voiceless and an inspiration to many (far more than you can ever imagine).I know that you are being guided by your ancestors and your guides to do the work that is so sorely needed when it comes to educating our youth. Blessings of love and graditude to you.

Dr Helen Tinsley said...

Thanks Robin, I appreciate that. I didn't choose this work...God chose me for it and I am trying as best as I can to answer the call.

Kenneth Amos said...

Beautifully said,Helen , as you always do. The world needs more educators just like you. I hope and I pray that more people like you are sent by the Creator each and every day... and amongst us all to stay. So very strong yet caring... so very wise and daring... You challenge us to step up and be more self a-waring. I am thankful for you and your unselfish sharing. (Dr.)Helen, You are a present ,in the present, for an educating, educated present and future. I for one do truly appreciate your presence, and your future. Keni Amos.

Helen said...

`
Kenneth Amos: I am just realizing I failed to respond to your thoughtful post. Your words truly touched me. I believe education is God's work and I never took it lightly. I too pray that more caring, dedicated people go into the field of education - because our children truly are the future! Thank you for your appreciation of my life and work and I pray I can remain worthy of it!