Greetings...

...Relax, have a hot cup of herbal tea with us, and share your thoughts, ideas, poems...

Thursday, September 3, 2015

My Evolutionary Journey...

The Journey
By Helen Hampton 

My beloved Bigmomie - my grandmother named "Helen" whose name I proudly carry painted the above & below pictures. She began painting at the age of 65 through arts and crafts classes at a senior citizen center in New Mexico, AFTER she retired from doing a lifetime of domestic work. My grandmother didn't name any of her paintings, but I have named her pieces myself. Her paintings evolved over the next 20+ years and although she primarily painted southwestern landscapes, she also painted several portraits of a few family members, including my daughter, niece and cousins. I often think that if my grandmother had never enrolled in these classes, she may have never tapped into this talent. I also wonder how many of us have gifts we haven't yet discovered.  So, whatever your interests, wonderings, inclinations have been - go for it, explore, stretch out, try something new- because your greatest gift might just be waiting to be uncovered.


Reflections
by Helen Hampton


These past 3 years have been a journey indeed - a massive juggling act. As a full time educator working in a demanding position, with a lengthy commute - I also managed to complete all the coursework for my doctoral program, and begin the research and writing for my dissertation - which I am steadily working on. That in itself was no easy feat - but I was blessed to achieve a final average of a 3.88 average. My family (both real and virtual) have been very encouraging and supportive and I also know my ancestors have been guiding me along the way.  I am closer to the light at the end of the tunnel - in this particular journey - which is the acquisition of my Doctorate in Educational Leadership. I intend to graduate in 2016.  However, during this process I am still discovering more of who I am and my purpose in this journey called life...



I have devoted my professional life to the field of education - and for many many years I believed that is who I am - "the educator" and that is what I was put on this earth to do. I am eternally grateful for the experiences, the opportunity to serve many children, touch many lives and work with many families - and I truly cherish those memories. I am blessed to have touched countless lives! I have been fortunate enough to reconnect with hundreds of my former students and they tell me the impact I made on their lives - and I am grateful beyond measure. I love every student I have ever taught and retain fond memories of all the experiences, activities and families! I also don't forget my former student's faces (nor names) - no matter how many years go by. 


Yet, a dear friend - a personal "muse" helped me to see deeper into myself, and the full essence of my gifts and existence. Although I work in the field of education, I am a literary and visual ARTIST! I see the world through colorful lenses, express my thoughts through lyrical phrases, and capture the images in my mind through story collages.  My spirit resonates with art and literature! I am in heaven in libraries, museums, art galleries, book stores, stationery stores, and art supply stores. Even as a child I spent hours in libraries reading, and in stationery stores reading every card.   I dream vivid, colorful dreams of unseen places, and engage in wonderful adventures with unknown people - in places I hope to one day go to.

Words flow freely out of me when surrounded by nature and I capture those thoughts, reflections, ideas and wonderings in poetic phrases and short stories. 



I get lost in the zone when finding, sorting and arranging images to paste on a story collage.


Yet, my day to day "grind" is still centered around work, commute and school - and I can truly feel the burden of that on the artist trying to fly freely. I recall many years ago going to a "Discover Your Life Workshop" and receiving confirmation of what I am here to do...(healing work - through multiple modalities). Yet, I still remained tied to a "JOB" but I felt good about it because it is in education, and I feel I have been making a difference. In 2015 - God, spirit and the ancestors are pushing me to fly... to step out on faith and reclaim my creative spirit 100% of the time...It is a process, and I am not one to make a rash decision...but the time for me to embrace all that I am and all the gifts, talents and insights that I have been blessed to have is forthcoming...  My spirit is STILL Rising... 

Taking time to smell the flowers... AND

Embrace life with a positive attitude and a smile...


I am open to divine intervention and letting spirit and the ancestors guide me - with the Creator ordering my steps...  My spirit is smiling...my energy is flowing and my third eye is open! My journey is unfolding right before my very eyes, and I am excitedly and eagerly embracing this next phase of my life... I have more places to go, people to meet, books to write, art to create and creativity retreats to plan - stay tuned... with the Creator on my side, it's going to be an incredible ride...



As always, your sister in the spirit
I remain...Helen






4 comments:

JoanMay T. Cordova said...

Cheering you on as the journey continues ...
With peace and blessings
@ForCommunities

~Joanie

Dr Helen Tinsley said...

Joanie @ForCommunities: thanks for your continued support as always. You have so much to offer and I am sure the West coast welcomes you with a smile!

Lady Dove aka Pheralyn Dove said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful and inspiring message. I pray you all the best of miracles, breakthroughs and blessings as you continue on your journey.

Unknown said...

Helen, very inspirational the beautiful artwork of your grandmother and the expressions felt from the soul. An inspiration of what we can do as we mature in life, we can take our collective experiences culminating, an expressions which leaves a legacy behind. Awesome Chele