Greetings...

...Relax, have a hot cup of herbal tea with us, and share your thoughts, ideas, poems...

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Wellness Journey – Real talk from my heart…





After a busy life in a long-term marriage, mothering 4 children, teaching full-time, and a graduate student for 11 years – I now find myself living alone. Alone…not lonely…there’s a difference…okay, some times I’m lonely…but often I’m pretty content in my space. It’s peaceful, I am surrounded by the simple things I love …plants, books and more books…my Mac Book Pro, Ipad and Ipod (smh - but it’s true – I’m a gadget girl - smile) my figurines…and trinkets from 57 years of living. I still have a bookcase from my childhood that has been everything from a cabinet for baby accessories, to a display shelf painted over many times. But, it still reminds me of how precious my childhood was and how special my little Beatrix Potter books looked to me on the shelves when I was little and got them from the good ole’ Englewood Public Library. (For those that don’t know…my hometown is Englewood, NJ – about 10 minutes from Manhattan and it was a wonderful, small-town, right-out-side-the big-city kind of place.)  Any rate back to my journey…

When I am home, I spend a lot of time in silence. Yes, I love music…and still love to get down and dance. I am a life-long party girl. BUT, in silence I hear the voice of God and the ancestors. And I listen...and the Creator speaks to me in hushed tones in the stillness, and tells me words and stories to write, people to connect with, projects to make, and directions in my life to take. And I OBEY! And my ancestors speak to me…they guide me…they direct me and especially they WARN me…from dangerous situations, behaviors and people. And I am learning to obey them more fully. For me, the ancestors are that little voice that talks to you “when you getting ready to do something that you know ain’t no good for you”, (yes, that was an intentional grammatical slip – for those academic folks that may judge me…lol) or you know that guy you checking out that seems like he’s up to no-good, and you don’t listen; and then you think back and say – ahhh, I should have followed my first mind. In African tradition, that first mind is your ancestors working in your behalf. I still don’t listen as fully as I should…but I am getting better.  I’m a work in progress…

We also have our own intuition and life knowledge. And we know that at this stage in life our health is essential. I have buried so many family members, classmates and near and dear friends. Many of them got caught up in life…not taking care of their health over time. Those of us Baby Boomers (in particular), but everybody in general – know it is time to get our health and lives together. I have studied herbs since 1975, used to be a vegetarian and once lived a totally health-conscious lifestyle. At one time, (a long time ago) I didn’t buy any foods in packages…I got freshly churned peanut butter, honey from a local beehive, fresh veges and fruits from the farmer’s market…juiced 25 pounds of carrots a week and ate nothing processed. I was healthy but fell off over the years. Thank God I gave up getting “fish meals” at McDonald’s after I used to rationalize to myself “but it is fish”. I still don’t eat red meat, mostly eat fish (occasional turkey), don’t eat eggs or drink milk…and grow and use herbs regularly…but I admit I eat processed foods when pressed for time, and I frequent Dunkin Donuts so much they know my order by heart. And this too must stop! All that sugar being ingested must stop!! And over the years, the pounds start to add up…5 per year or so - well hell, in 10 years that’s 50 pounds. HELLO – sound familiar anyone? I am very observant as I ride around communities, and I notice in West Philadelphia, where I live - a large number of well-chair accessible homes; and I see elderly folks and not so elderly coming out the homes. Then I notice the wheel-chair traffic on certain streets, and a lot of those folks are young people…my age or younger, and it makes you think. Well, as I talk to people…most of these people have high blood pressure, and diabetes, and have crippled or amputated limbs. Everyone I talk to has either high blood pressure or diabetes, or knows someone who does. I see the handwriting on the wall for me without making a major life change. I have high blood pressure, and was told lately that I was borderline pre-diabetes…my sugar was 1 point higher than the normal range, not too high but a real WAKE-up call big time for me. My family issues are heart attacks and diabetes. So, I know I need to loose weight, have a healthier diet, exercise, and take-in natural supplements. I didn’t want to follow a set diet. I wanted to change my life…and take supplements that “feed” my body and boost my immune system. So, I started by looking at the quality of the existing vitamins I was taking, and I took out my Centrum-silver Vitamin (a healthy vitamin, multi-mineral supplement I thought). Woah, when I read the label, it listed ingredients I didn’t know of and couldn’t pronounce, but I do know one thing - Red dye # 40 and Blue # 2 are not good for you!!!  So I got rid of the Centrum. I began researching nutritional supplements that are all natural, holistic, balancing to the body and promote detoxifying and healing. The best company I found is the one I chose. The products are all natural, they help your body detoxify, burn fat, increase energy, balance hormones, and build your immune system. I am hooked! I am on a serious mission. I am getting ready to get fit! I know of people who use these products and they have changed their lives…and so will I. I am claiming it!  I ordered my RED BOX and can’t wait to begin my journey and I would love to take some of my friends on the journey with me to getting in the best shape of our lives. JOIN ME….INBOX ME and we can take it from there….Peace & Blessings to you, Your Sister Friend Helen (Habeebatullah) 

1 comment:

Deb Manning said...

Hi Helen,

I love your blog!! Okay my sister, I need to get on this holistic journey with you. What is this Redbox?? Im not working right now, so cost is a concern for me. Let me know. Much love, Deb Manning