Greetings...

...Relax, have a hot cup of herbal tea with us, and share your thoughts, ideas, poems...

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Ramblings on a sunny, summer Sunday...



Ramblings on a sunny, summer Sunday...


Hugging an ancient tree in Santa Fe, New Mexico
I am a lover of reading and books, physical books - not a Nook or a Kindle (although I have a kindle on my iPad - and actually have books on it that I have never read)!! I love books, the sight of them, the feel of them, the smell of them - my favorite places other than the ocean (anywhere in the world) - are Libraries and Book Stores!!! I like small, independent and out-of-the-way book stores; but I must admit, I am a frequent Barnes & Noble shopper too. (I gave one of my grands my "Barnes" Teddy Bear- lol). 

I fell in love with books as a little girl. My Mom was an avid reader, and she always had lots of books, and also encouraged us to go to the Library. Well the Children's Room Librarian at the Englewood Public Library certainly knew me. I checked lots of books out, and couldn't wait to get home and read them. I wrote book reports (for extra credit - lol) and even made up book reports for books (that didn't exist, that I imagined in my mind). Little did I know that I was already an author without putting the words in print. I slept with stacks of the little books by Beatrix Potter under my pillow. (I still have the little version of Peter Rabbit and books about his friends on my writing desk to this day - my little childhood inspiration).

I always wanted to be a Librarian, until I was introduced in Junior High School to the Dewey Decimal System - which seemed to me as a young girl the most foolish way to categorize books. I wanted to categorize them by how they looked, by genre (even then as a child), and of course only some by author - such as my favorite childhood authors: Beatrix Potter, Beverly Clearly, Carolyn Keene (author of Nancy Drew mysteries).

There is nothing better to me than to curl up anywhere comfortable with a cool drink and a good book - I get lost in books!!! I can't curl up with my iPad, it doesn't give me that sensory experience. For me, with a really good book, the world opens up to me and transforms and transports me! When my children were little, I read all the Danielle Steel books, and I would be transported to some foreign city and I became the rich heroine, living the glamorous life, with some intercontinental dilemma - until my children would say, "Mommy, I'm hungry" and reality would set in. I don't read those books anymore, but they certainly were a joy to me at that stage in my life.

I love biographies, history, narratives/fiction (literature :-), self-help and once in a while ...light-hearted, (slightly) home-girl type fiction!! I am not into the real urban street type novels - not my thing, but more power to those who chose that type of writing and reading. I don't think I ever saw or read a book by a Black person until high school, when my beloved English teacher, Mr. Dexter Bennett introduced me to Maya Angelou, via "I Know Why the Caged Girl Sings." That was a life-changing moment for me. That was my introduction to the world of Black literature. Thank you Mr. Bennett!!! He also introduced us to Pierri Thomas's memoir: Down These Mean Streets (about a Puerto Rican boy coming of age in NYC). I was hooked, I became a lover of literature, and multi-cultural stories.

Helen Tinsley & her Story Collages Art Exhibit at Englewood Public Library,  February, 2014.

Anyway, for the last two years I have been on the school grind non-stop ...working towards this doctorate, and needless to say - my pleasurable reading has diminished to almost nada/nothing. It is a tremendous sacrifice. As an artist, it is stifling to not have "free-time" to create, but it is a known sacrifice I chose, and I am coming down the home stretch. HoweverI give thanks that I was able to host my first art exhibit showcasing my Story Collages in February, 2014 at the Englewood Public Library. 

But as far as reading goes, I have only been able to squeeze in about 4-5 books each year while in school; and I like to read a book every week or two. So, I continue to buy the books I would normally read, as they come out, or as I learn about them. I have probably acquired 50-60 books or so in the past year - that I can't wait to relaxingly curl up with!!

In-sha-Allah (if it be the will of Allah/God),  I am looking at the next few years - when I finish school and retire from my present JOB. My heart is in education and helping others - so I intend to continue providing training, facilitating professional development sessions and conducting diversity workshops. That is truly my calling and I am thankful to know and embrace God's  purpose for my life!!  I have many other dreams as well...

 With God's grace, I am claiming the move to the next phase of my life...wherever spirit takes me to live - and I am open to living in many different parts of the world (including my beloved Bahamas). But, for a while, I think it will probably be bi-coastal living between Santa Fe, New Mexico, and the Virginia Beach area.





I am claiming the opening of a spiritual space called: The Literary Tea Room! This will be a place where writers' express their thoughts, ideas and tidbits, give inspiration and nurturing to each other; and reader's delight in reading and sharing reflections about books!!! 

There will be author events, open mic night, jazz night, poetry sharings, inspirational talks, arts & craft workshops, and delightful blends of herbal teas, with multicultural pastries. Soon come... 

#eyeontheprize      #yougottahavedreamstofulfillthem

2 comments:

Kenny Poole said...

Having five siblings, I needed that escape from the real world, and books were the main means of doing so. If it was in the house, I read it! A good book will take you to another place and make yo lose track of time. When I read Dante's "Inferno", I started after dinner and didn't stop until dawn... a real trio to hell! I mainly read fiction which are action packed like Clive Cussler, James Patterson, and Tom Clancey. But my favorite book of all time is "The Autobiography of Malcolm X". A brilliant man who was always looking at his life and having the strength and will to change when reality showed he needed to change his path.

Dr Helen Tinsley said...

Kenny I fully agree. Books have always been my comfort and transporter to other worlds and dimensions. I love to get lost in a book where you lose track of time and reality and are fully immersed in the book! Some of my favorites off the top of my head are: Their Eyes Were Watching God, Man-Child in the Promised Land, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Autobiography of Malcolm X. I love the short stories of J. California Cooper, anything written by Alice Walker, Toni Morrison, Maya, Langston Hughes, Julia Alvarez and so many others. I have done so much academic reading and writing for the last 3 years - I can't wait to get back to reading and chatting for relaxation, pleasure and personal growth!