Greetings...

...Relax, have a hot cup of herbal tea with us, and share your thoughts, ideas, poems...

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Academia vs. Creativity – Finding Balance


         I am a storyteller and writer by spirit, an artist by passion, an educator by vocation, a life-long learner and a full-time student in a doctoral program. Yes, like many of us I am a multi-dimensional person - I am WOMAN – hear me roar (lol) and I also a mother and grandmother! Needless to say, I like everyone else am busy! I have all the usual routine - daily and weekly tasks that must be done, cleaning, shopping, cooking, laundry, etc. Many of our routines are simply a matter of time and energy – providing we are blessed with the health to accomplish our needed tasks!  Yet, sometimes we fill our lives with so many activities and projects that we soon find ourselves on a whirlwind or a never-ending merry-go-round – I know I have always been there, and I still am on another level.
In this post I hope to explore with you – the readers - the complexity of finding balance in your life while being actively engaged as a full-time student in a demanding doctoral program and still being true to yourself as a creative spirit, while working in a demanding and time-consuming job. To me, it seems the higher one goes up the academia ladder, the less it is about personal engagement and creativity, and more about theoretical and analytical data. I am a pragmatist and I strongly believe in personal connections, meaningful engagement and practical application. Can one find that in schools of education in academia? Is it possible? Where does it exist? Are their online or hybrid doctoral programs in education that provide that?
Far too many times I am working on a paper or assignment for school and spirit begins talking to me, or ancestors and angels start whispering words in my head of stories of long ago, or inspirations and ideas that I NEED to immediately meditate on and write about. But, in the midst of a paper or assignment and a tight deadline – I have to make a practical choice – and in order to actually meet the assignment deadline, I have far too many times made school the first priority. Now, perhaps for the average person, that may be a good thing or no big deal. But, for me as a spiritually led woman and “inspired” writer that is so limiting to my psyche and spirit – because I understand the voice of spirit! I know better - when spirit tells me to jump – I jump!  I have to! My spirit demands it!! So, as a result I have many, many sleepless nights – writing papers and completing assignments for school; and also sitting quietly and letting spirit talk to me and then writing inspirations and poetry, or making collages. It is a major juggling act for me!  Yet, I know I am not the first person to be at this crossroad, and we can all benefit from hearing others stories, strategies and solutions to creating that sense of balance! So, I hope to hear from you because the sharing of diverse stories enriches us all!
In my sphere in life, I am blessed to know many people in different walks of life - Ase’!  I enjoy interacting with many activists, artists, writers, educators, academics, filmmakers, talkers, and good people from all over the United States and around the world in both real time and cyber space. Every artist or creative spirit can probably relate to the juggling act I refer to; and the need for making choices and/or finding that perfect niche’ or balance on a level that works for you between: money or creative arts/ 9-5 job or creative arts/ academics or creative arts/ scheduled life or flexibility.
So, I am reaching out to you – family, friends, conscious folks, and my email and Facebook friends – you my “peeps” who represent the pulse of many communities - to share your thoughts, ideas, and creative suggestions on following your passion and/or finding that “balance” – while working in a full-time profession and pursuing an advanced degree: (such as: a doctorate, medical, law degree, etc) and also letting your creativity flow! What are your thoughts?

5 comments:

JoanMay T. Cordova said...

Thanks for writing, Helen.
Am a passionate believer that it's possible to merge the academic/artistic/activist sides of life. One always makes a _choice_ to prioritize academia (or not :). For me, there's no "vs" ...

Ever hopeful,
~Joanie
@ForCommunities on Twitter, Tumblr, IG, FB, more

PS I really enjoyed Taunya's Himalayan singing bowl meditation at your home.

Legacy/Nusaiba said...

Peace Mwt Helen, I completely innerstand where you are coming from. I, too, find myself in a constant balancing act between my Nursing courses, my daughter's homeschooling, my admin consulting business and online store and then when is there time for my creative expression?! I am a singer/songwriter/performer, recording artist. Well, I've learned to somehow combine creativity in whatever I do and also modify what I do for an isolated time of creative expression. For example, I make my daughter's homeschooling as creative as possible, I also introduce to my clients new ways to go about doing our work that excit me and I update my web store often as a creative outlet. I don't have as much time to perform publically, so I have my producers send me tracks to write to and I dance and sing while cooking, going to the laundry or whatever other daily task there is to do. In the mean time and I picked up the art of jewelry making and archery, which allow me to engage when I have time -- according to my schedule.

It is a sensitive balance, yet, it takes a combination of spontenaity and planning to get us where we will be cozy. Yet, when we think we have just the right balance....something else shifts! LIFE! :) I feel being in tune Spiritually, first and foremost, will bring forth the correct inner guidance for what we need to thrive and still fulfill all areas of our intellectual, physical, spiritual needs. Waking up at 5am at least a couple of time a week to meditate, pray and prepare gives more space to see our vision clearly. Thank you for sharing. That was a good reflection for me...as classes start next week. Peace, Bliss & Much Success to you this semester! - Nu

Legacy/Nusaiba said...

Greetings Mwt Helen, I just left a detailed response that was erased when I logged in to my account. I will work to return to post again, but let me say that I totally inner stand where you are coming from and can relate. Thank you for sharing this post. It provided some morning reflection for me that was needed. I will return soon to repost my thoughts. Peace, Bliss and much Success this semester! - Nu

Asia Adams Save OUR Children Foundation said...

Greetings Sister Helen- Just getting to read your blog regarding creativity and balance. I've prepared a perspective and response to your blog, on ours, with a link to yours. Very good food for thought. Many of the young women coming up behind us face the same challenges, we've overcome and/or continue to face. Hope we can offer them some insight now- as we pay it forward. Thanks for your thought provoking commentary. Peace and Blessings. Shelah

Shelah said...

Asia Adams Save OUR Children Foundation said...

Greetings Sister Helen- Just getting to read your blog regarding creativity and balance. I've prepared a perspective and response to your blog, on ours, with a link to yours. Very good food for thought. Many of the young women coming up behind us face the same challenges, we've overcome and/or continue to face. Hope we can offer them some insight now- as we pay it forward. Thanks for your thought provoking commentary. Peace and Blessings. Shelah



SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 30, 2013
Women and Balance

I am from a generation of women, with few before us, to give guidance (when younger), to guide and help in learning to balance all the demands of life, in an age where women were pursuing professional careers. Only through prioritizing, focus, and strong faith brought me through that time. Being a single Mom, with a philosophy that being a good mother was my primary purpose. This really helped to guide and balance me. I knew in order to make a better life for me and my child, would require me furthering my education. This education (getting an MBA in the early 80's) would enable us to survive and be prepared to thrive. It would also enable me to command higher pay for greater expertise. Also being a naturalist included making my own baby food as I didn't trust the off the shelf mass production stuff. I would study while making the baby food. l would pump while reading a book, and washing clothes, then finish and work some more.

By this time through my prior work, I had become an expert in health insurance payments for all kinds of health and human service providers. It was a natural progression to start and manage my own business full time. This would allow me the flexibility to attend to my daughter's school work, go on class trips, and show up unexpectedly in class. No way was I going to leave something as important as my child's education, up to a teacher I didn't personally know or have an idea of their values regarding children and education. So I showed up in class to see. I know this kept many a teacher on their toes. Occasionally, I would run across one or two that needed to be whipped into shape and clear that this mom wasn't playing with her child's education. Although not intentionally, regrettably, I had a few teachers terminated, principals involvement in assessments, and a host of modifications like sending my 7th grader to Drexel University Math Diagnostics to be tutored by a college professor. This was to insure she got it. While I had an MBA, 7th grade math was challenging after so many years. The demands of self employment including writing proposals for funding, getting contracted work completed with quality, juggling multiple clients, balancing how many I could successfully handle at one time was truly a learning curve Forgot about a personal life. This was it. In all sincerity it was so rewarding. My child's education thrived, my business thrived, and while busy, with never a dull moment, I was pleased with the outcome.

In efforts to overstand- how I could be most productive I sought advice from elders- usually male as at that time I knew few black women in business, who could advise me.. A few times I had an opportunity to sit with a wise and successful man known as the Father of Leaders, Mr. Sam Evans, founder of AFNA. He told me something, I'll never forget. "We all have 24 hours in a day- 8 we spend working- 8 sleeping- 8 we need to be certain how we use this time. If you need extra time, take it away from sleep and be careful how we use the rest. This was very sound advice from a very wise and successful man. Thus put the child to bed and work some more, throughout the night if needed. I follow his advise until this day. He also asked me, "What does living Holy mean". As I stumbled with my reply, he shook his head no, then Mr. Evans said, " living Holy is Higher Order Living- Yield". That made even more sense. From the wisdom of the elders.


http://asiasfoundation.blogspot.com