Greetings...

...Relax, have a hot cup of herbal tea with us, and share your thoughts, ideas, poems...

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Save the Children

Our children are truly our most precious resources. They depend on us - the adults to help them find their place in life, to care for them, guide them and prepare them for the world that awaits them. We all have a responsibility to the children. Each day, I strive to make a difference in the life of someone, especially children. So many children and families feel "voiceless" - "powerless" in the educational arena in America.  My next book - "Who Speaks For Me" tells many of the stories of the voiceless people in education; with the goal of helping to give voice to them.


who speaks for me
Copyright 2011 by Helen Tinsley

i am the voice of the voiceless
i am the voice of those students 
who are uneducated, miseducated
or simply not given the tools 
to be successful in society today.

i am the voice of those students 
who languish in special ed classes,
remedial programs, alternative classes
or other structures that marginalize
 & demoralize their essence.

i am the voice of students 
whose spirit is squashed
by uncaring adults, low expectations 
& pervasive disregard
in inner city schools throughout america.

i am their voice & this is their story.

stop 
u don’t know me
u only make money off me
yea, tho i walk thru the valley of public schools
i shall fear no evil for i am black 
& my God is with me.

i sit in classes, raise my hand, draw my pictures,
want to read my story & u don’t call on me
music teacher – u give out instruments & u bypass me
math teacher ― u have calculators i never see
art teachers – your closets r full of papers, paints & clay
u think r too good for me
principal – u create cracks to push me in
breed academic gaps & try to limit me

what is your problem 
& whose agenda do u follow?
i am strong, powerful & smart & i’m gonna do me
i read the books u hide
understand the knowledge u deny
& recognize today is the day we will not be shy
we will take this information & fly
today we are revolving, slowly evolving 
& the lies are dissolving

the revolution was televised 
when the levees broke & america choked
langston hughes wrote the ways of white folks
& the Hon Elijah Muhammad spoke 
told us wake up black folks

this is the final Call!

No comments: